Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Knit Picks Responds to The Security Breach

Knit Picks' Hack Confirms Sensitive Customer Information Exposed

See what I did there?

On February 17th the following message was posted to the Knit Picks blog confirming that customers' credit card informatin has been compromised.

Click to View Full Size

On the one hand, I am happy Knit Picks has finally made a public statement. Isn't it strange that admitting to it doesn't change the details, and doesn't really provide us with any new information, but for some reason it is important to hear it from them.

Now on the other hand, for me, there are a couple problems with their announcement. The biggest problem is that it is too little, too late. I can find no excuse why it has taken this long to contact their customers, and it seems this is only happening after the story blew up on social media. I fully expect things like this to happen. I have shopped at other retailers who have been hacked into and I was promptly notified so I could take action to protect myself.

It looks like Knit Picks didn't take action until after they were hung by the court of public opinion. For me, I have lost too much trust in the company and have no intention of shopping there again.

Knit Picks claims they mailed out letters to affected customers on February 8th. It is currently February 17th in Wisconsin. I have not received a letter from Knit Picks, nor has anyone else that I have heard of yet.

It's good that they posted to their blog, linked it to their Facebook Page and Twitter account, but I would like to have seen this come in to my email's inbox first. I still haven't received this via email, so customers who are not active in social media may still not be hearing about this. The blog post is not linked from the front page on KnitPicks.com. You have to go looking for it to find it.

Facebook Reacts


Not sure if trolling, or just really stupid
Reading some of the comments on Knit Picks' Facebook page is interesting. Most commenters are angry customers who say they should have been informed earlier.

One poster actually had the nerve to blame the victim.

He asked why people actually believe they can just go around shopping with credit cards and stuff. Why aren't you using a paper check like in the old days? Because you know, in the old days no one has ever stolen checking account information!

Many people are saying they will not do business with Knit Picks again.

Canadians are asking why only U.S. customers are allegedly receiving snail mail alerts, why no notice being sent to international customers?

Someone posting from the Knit Picks Twitter account said there has been an addendum added to the blog post:


I have refreshed the page multiple times but I can not find the addendum.

The Twitosphere is not amused.


 They're really not handling this well at all, are they?



No comments:

Post a Comment