Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Was Looking Right At It

I'm a big fan of mindless knitting. I have an attention problem so I can't knit anything too complex without extreme effort. Even though I know I have trouble paying attention, I still find myself shocked when I do something so stupid.

Isn't is amazing how far into a project you can be before noticing a giant, in-your-face, how-can-you-not-see-me error?

I like shawls. I usually knit simple triangle or heart shaped shawls in simple stitches. This time I decided to mix it up a little. Mistake number 1. Instead of working the usual triangle shape, top down, I thought let's work the triangle back-and-forth, working top up. After working a garter stitch triangle back and forth I planned to add a simple YO, K2tog edging.

The triangle part started out just fine.


It was going well... K2, YO, knit to last 2 sts, YO, K2, next row Knit, repeat.

About half way up the triangle I think I started doing double increases on each edge because it started to take on more of a heart shape. But it was still fine.

When I was around half way through the ball of yarn I began the edging. A very simple YO, K2tog.


I only have a little bit of knitting time every day so I spent weeks working on this. Literally. Weeks went by without my having a clue what I was doing.

Some of you have already caught it and are laughing the sympathy laugh right now.

I was almost to the end of the ball and was trying to estimate how much yardage I used on each round so I could figure out exactly when to begin binding off.

And then I finally saw it. 



I had been knitting the edging onto the neck edge instead of the bottom edge of the shawl. There was no way to turn this into a design element. It had to be ripped out.


Off to the frog pond it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment